Friday, August 1, 2008

A thank you blog

Okay, the grouping of text below summarizes the long exerpt below it so if you don’t want to read about my ideas and thoughts just read the little paragraph below, it’s the longer version in a nutshell.

(Short version)
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the people who have purchased my work, past and present, you guys are awesome and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for supporting me not only financially but more importantly artistically, the flow of works allows for more work to be made which is always an experience of growth and change in itself; when you take my work, I make more and my artistic expression is allowed to continue. Thanks everyone!!!

(long version)
Street artists who do this full time have a hard life! I am not implying that I solely rely on my art to make money because I do not, but I do dedicate most of my free time to it and it’s a little more than a part-time thing. Anyway, recently I was able to have enough money for August rent due to a sale of a butterfly person in Mariposa Gallery which gives me 100% profit minus sales tax (cause they are cool like that). I always feel like people who buy my work are more than patrons, we are exchanging. Its not just a money exchange, its an exchange of so much more because hopefully the person enjoys the artwork so they are getting satisfaction of having a beautiful thing, you are satisfied with someone having your work, but also with the opportunity to create more. Many artists I know who never sell their work simply stockpile it and have many unfinished projects and stagnant stock from years ago, in my opinion there is really no way for growth if you don’t sell your work or at least give it away. Perhaps I just have a modern day craft-makers mentality which I will regret since its well known that great artists like Van Gogh never sold any work and people like Monet were criticized for their artistic style, nonetheless, for me although my figures are small, I need to always clear out space for new ones to be born. So a thank you for the people who purchase my items, you are allowing me to grow artistically and express myself which is the really fun part. A lady told me her daughter could make the figure/flower that I had for sale, and I told her that it wouldn’t have significance, meaning, that mine were special because they were made with a purpose in mind beyond being cute or to make money or worst to copy someone else’s design. Everyone knows they can get $1 figurines Made in China/Taiwan/India/Korea at the local dollar tree so why even compare? My customers are like little supports that lift you up when you need it, they cheer you on your way to becoming who you are to become and that’s really a special thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment