Friday, March 7, 2008

NYC Inspirations update (the pieces are half way done)

Well hello!

I'm happy to say the NYC Inspirations campaign is coming along nicely which really is surprising since I can often take eons to get anything done. My first public piece entitled "The Tower of Hopes/Dreams" never even made it into reality, and custom orders that are not paid for in advance seem to live on forever unfinished, unprioritized. But such is not the case! Today I finished all seven of the seven awards/pieces which will be given to seven unsuspecting and deserving New York street artists who inspire others. I have talked to several people and most agree I need to have several pieces with me at all times just in case that need comes where I feel compelled to deliver the butterfly person to someone, I should have them, and it should be spontaneous, not planned out like an awards show. Anyway, back to the girls, yes, they ended up all being girls and all being rather similar looking.
(I love the picture below, haha, looks like attack of the hand or something)

Beginning somewhat androgynous, the figures started out simply pointing out into space as the schematic on the last blog about this project showed, yet after mixing the clay for the super cool skirts and putting the intensely bright yellow shirts on, it was evident the figures had genders, they were women. They remain faceless however because I think it would take away from the meaning of the pieces which are symbolic, bright and colorful to symbolize inspiration, brilliant, bright, intense inspiration, nothing dark and dull. The face of inspiration is faceless, anyone can inspire so they remain as is. I will however put text on their shirts, this is imperative to drive home the point, "YOU INSPIRE OTHERS" its very indicative with the pointing of fingers so to speak which the ladies will be doing. They all have black hair, yellow shirts, and multi-colored skirts. They all also carry a diamond in their left hand, and point with their right. The diamond/stone represents a gift they have to offer, sort of a physical representation of the non physical gift of inspiration, they are basically little allegories of the people (whether male or female) who they will be given to, those people inspire others and thus are colorful people who give the gift of inspiration. I was not going to put any wing on them at all, but it is true, they are butterfly people, or as some see them, fairies and that makes them special, so they will all have matching REAL butterfly wings. The figures are baked and ready to get their wings and cases sometime tomorrow! (later today)
have I ever had seven B-peeps on my hand at once? I wonder what the world record is...


No breasts for these girls, but they do get rad psychedelic skirts

Okay, at this point im feeling like a commercial toy-maker

I dont like it when they point at me, so I take the picture from the side

You see what I mean! Yikes!

Thats better, they have hair too, just like my original Butterfly miniatures...but is it
just me or do their pointing fingers remind you of guns?

Ah, not so freaky when its just one, the final version may have this sticker on her chest or...

I may paint the text on.

yes, YOU inspire others



Again, I'm happy that the campaign is getting underway, I actually even made little cards to go with the pieces themselves which read, "The Butterfly People presents, the NYC Inspirations campaign. You have been selected as one of seven people in New York City who are public inspirations to people. This figure was created to give you a hard copy of the fact that people appreciate what you do. Keep up the good work!" Why seven people you say? Well, seven is a very special number in my life.
The back of the cards say "Change lives, inspire, be an inspiration" over and over and over again.





think I have found the time slot to find artists, I have a break during school days between 12pm and 3pm to scour the city before going to math class, also on Thursdays and after 7pm the other days. Woot, let the campaign begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment